Hi tutors! We hope you’re well. A few quick reminders of new policy and procedures.
Official break time will now be unpaid. Taking official breaks will not hurt your attendance metric unless breaktime exceeds policy. Taking a quick bathroom break or similar during sessions as needed is OK! Please give students a warning if you’ll be unable to respond for a few minutes.
Inactive Student Policy
Based on tutor input in the #student-feedback Slack channel, we’ve implemented an official policy for ending sessions with inactive or disengaged students. Please see here for details.
We’ve seen demand rebound from the initial drop due to COVID-19. However, we will continue to monitor need to remove scheduled hours based on decreased demand due to school breaks or otherwise. A quick reminder to join the #emergency_response_alerts Slack channel if you’re pursuing additional paid session time.
Student Feedback Award!
Congratulations to Patrick Chung for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Patrick’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “You did a very good job helping me. Thank you for teaching me that trick, it will come in handy in the future!”
- “Thank you so much! Your questions helped me understand the question rather than memorize a certain procedure”
- “Thank you so much that was very helpful and I now understand the lateral area and the surface area of a prism. Hope to work with you again soon.”
- “Dear Mr. Chung, you are the best and I hope i have you again thanks and you make it so clear and understanding i wish you were my math teacher”
Way to go Patrick!
As always, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and happy tutoring!
Daylight Savings Time
The USA will move to PDT on March 8. As per our typical policy, Yup will handle schedule adjustments such that tutors can expect to work the same hours in their time zones
On the day of the switch, we expect Humanity may have some issues adjusting. Please continue to work your expected scheduled hours, and we will deal with any scheduling issues the following week on a case-by-case basis.
If you find that your hours post-March 8 have been uploaded incorrectly, please reach out to email@example.com and we’ll handle the situation!
We may request some tutors slightly modify their schedules to fit scheduling needs as a result of moving to PDT. We’ll reach out individually if this is the case.
Our February Outstanding Student Feedback Winner
Congratulations to Laxmi Sharma for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Laxmi’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you for helping me work Through my mistakes and really understand my work!”
- “She helped me on a very long question on which I was very confused! She was super!”
- “Thank you! She was amazing, kind, positive, and honest when I got one wrong!”
- “Thank you soo much you are motivating me to do the rest of the questions”
- “She was amazing, asked questions, made sure I was doing good. Gave feedback on how I was doing, and gave compliments.”
Way to go Laxmi!
Congratulations to Prabhat Kumar Kushwaha for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Prabhat’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Mr. Kushwaha was not only encouraging but, he also helped me figure out the correct answer by thoroughly explaining the problem and helping me through the process. :)”
- “Thank you for being extremely thorough and helping me visually see where I went wrong in my work! Thank you for being kind and understanding.”
- “thank you SO SO much for your time and help today!! you thoroughly explained many concepts & cleared up various questions I had. I appreciate all the guidance today :)”
- “Thank you so much that problem was impossible at first but now I can’t wait to do more math.”
- “Thank you so much for the help! You were very friendly and really helped me to understand the problem better! I could definitely see how much you love math!”
Way to go Prabhat!
Launching “Favorite Tutors” Feature
We know that students can sometimes work better with certain tutors. In response to both student and tutor feedback, we are excited to announce a new upcoming feature for students.
Starting on Wednesday, December 4 students will have the chance to “favorite” tutors whom they enjoy working with. This will increase the likelihood that the student and tutor are matched in the future!
We anticipate students might mention or ask about this feature in sessions. Please direct students to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries.
As always, let us know if you have any questions at email@example.com. Happy Thanksgiving to our US based tutors and a happy weekend to all!
October Student Feedback Award
Congratulations to Ricky Liu Chen for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Ricky’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thanks for helping me understand that problem, I’ve been stuck on it for a while. So thanks so much for helping me!”
- “Thank Mr. Chen for your help. It was a lot of fun”
- “He was very nice and great to work with he was very polite. I would love to work with him once more :)”
- “He really helped me understand the material and I feel so much more confident”
- “thank you so much for your help today, as many of the steps I needed help with were simple to understand. my application of certain ideas wasn’t clear, and you helped me make it more understandable. thanks again :)”
Way to go Ricky!
October Payroll and Tutor Growth Pathway (TGP) Refresh Reminder
A quick reminder that the end of the month of October yesterday also marked the end of our first Tutor Growth Pathway refresh cycle! A few quick reminders:
- October payroll will be sent out on Tuesday, November 5th per standard Yup policy
- Submit any disputes by end of day on Sunday, November 3rd
- TGP refresh process will begin on Monday, November 4th
- Review last week’s Newsfeed Post for more details on the refresh process
Thank you for your great work and please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Next week, we’ll be sending out payroll for the first time using our new Tutor Growth Pathway. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided in order to improve the program. Specifically, we want to acknowledge some concerns that tutors have had about student ratings.
A number of tutors have felt unfairly penalized when students have given poor ratings for issues stemming from improper use of the app, such as:
- Wanted Answer
- Problem Unclear
- Inappropriate Behavior
- Spam/Testing App
- Wrong Subject
Per your feedback, we will be excluding student ratings from sessions with these tags. Expect to see these changes take hold in the next week.
Tutors have also asked about sessions where students have given poor ratings but the reason is unclear. Ultimately, we believe it is important in these situations to value the customer experience and trust that there are aspects of the experience that our QA system may not accurately measure, such as:
- The student exits the session without sending a message because they had a past poor experience with a specific tutor.
- The student gives a poor rating despite strong pedagogy scores because of the tutor’s tone or phrasing.
- The student exits after a few messages because they feel that the tutor is unclear. We often find that low student ratings correlate with poor tutor grammar or unclear phrasing.
To address this necessary imperfection, we purposefully calculated our highest level metrics to equal average historical ratings. We feel this pushes everyone to perform at their best, but also allows some extra room for the occasional session that doesn’t go as planned.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on your overall experience as well as Humanity. Please fill out the September Tutor Satisfaction Survey by 10/4 so that we can best help improve your Yup experience!
Our September Outstanding Student Feedback Winner
Congratulations to Mary Ogawa for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Mary’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you very much for your help. This was my first time on YUP and I had an awesome first experience!”
- “She was so amazing in helping me understand the concept and answering all my questions I had with a great attitude!”
- “Thank you so much for being patient with me. I feel a lot more confident with these types of problems now. :)”
Way to go Mary!
-The Yup Tutor Operations Team