We’ve seen a lot of great feedback about how we can best use Slack as a company, and we’re excited to announce a few major updates based on your feedback!
SLACK CHANNEL REORGANIZATION
We’ll be renaming and repurposing a number of Slack channels to make conversing clearer. Please see the first edition of Yup Tutor Slack Guidelines! You’ll find a list of renamed channels, an explanation of where to post what, and best practice recommendations.
INTRODUCING: EMERGENCY RESPONSE TUTOR PROGRAM
We’re proud to announce a new trial program: Emergency Response Tutors.
- Emergency Response Tutors (ERTs) have the option to jump online during high wait periods (announced by automated alerts) and take extra sessions
- Any tutor may voluntarily choose to be an ERT
- For any time spent in-session but out-of-shift during high wait periods, ERTs will be compensated at 2x hourly rate
- Please note that out-of-session time will not be compensated; as sessions will be allocated first-come first-served, we recommend coming online to help only if you’re already available – typical high wait periods only last 5-10 minutes
- Join the Emergency Response Tutors Slack Channel
Because this is a trial, the parameters of this program may change. We’ll be testing its effectiveness over the next few weeks by measuring how many drops it prevents and also your satisfaction with the program. Please see this slide in the Tutor Policies deck for more detail and let us know of any questions!
STUDENT FEEDBACK UPDATES
We are introducing a form to systematize your feedback on students. This form should be a primary feedback mechanism so we can track student performance, but we also encourage you to continue to use the Student Feedback Slack Channel to offer helpful advice to other tutors.
In turn, Yup Tutor Operations will commit to consistent reports on the most common issues and students that are brought up. Additionally, we’re already working on product specs directly related to your feedback:
- Internal student profiles that allow tutors to review comments from other tutors on best practice teaching styles for each student
- Students’ can select preferred learning styles (e.g., more whiteboard, faster teaching, check in often) and these are shown to tutors
Thanks and happy tutoring all!
Hi all! Fantastic work throughout the first couple weeks of the Fall semester. We’re seeing the highest average student ratings and tutor composite scores in the history of Yup! Thank you as well for bearing with any hiccups that have resulted from our recent scheduling and evaluation tool updates – we’ll get those ironed out soon!
We’ve made a few updates to our Tutor Policies and want to offer a quick overview:
We’d like to quickly reiterate the expectation that all sessions assigned while logged in should be claimed to prevent student drops. Any passed sessions will be counted against claim rate. Tutor Growth Pathway metrics have been set to account for outlier situations and allow tutors to infrequently skip sessions. For more info, see here.
We’ve made a small change to our session dispute policy. Given technical limitations, we no longer have the capacity to change individual session scores. Instead, any approved dispute will result in the session being omitted entirely from metric calculations. Please let us know if you have any questions about this policy.
We’ve made some updates to our Math Concept breakdown. We no longer cover a number of concepts including parametric equations, polar equations, and partial fractions as well as others. Please review to ensure you’re aware which concepts we do and do not cover!
We continue to be excited for the start of the Fall semester this upcoming Monday, 9/2. We want to thank everyone for helping us through all the recent changes.
Tutor Growth Pathway and Fall Schedules
Congratulations on a great job during our Tutor Freeze Period! We saw a big bump in comp scores, ratings, and claim rate. This means better teaching, less drops, and faster service for our students =)
Growth pathway payment rates will go into effect on September 1, 2019
- August payroll will reflect our old system, including relevant bonuses
- Please ensure that you have signed your new contract: reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns
Fall schedules will go into effect September 2, 2019
- Please verify your schedule and reach out to email@example.com with any concerns or requests to add hours, based on the noted schedule availability
Humanity Scheduling Software
Full launch of Humanity will take place on September 9/2. Until then, please continue to use our typical procedures and policies for scheduling matters (e.g., fill out a form for a shift switch or leave request on 9/1). However, some important notes:
Available shift release for the week of 9/2 will take place Friday, August 30 in Humanity
- Tutors can see their weekly Fall schedules the evening of Thursday, August 29
- Tutors can claim hours up to their total weekly hours Level maximum
Starting 9/2, we will move to using Humanity for all major scheduling procedures
- Release shifts, request leave, and continue to claim shifts in Humanity
- Use the scheduling form to submit overtime or availability updates
And finally, get excited for an influx of new tutors! We expect up to ~50 new tutors to onboard over the next few weeks, and more when we split the subject exam (more to come on that).
Keep up the fantastic work everyone!
HUMANITY, TUTOR GROWTH PATHWAYS + AUTUMN SCHEDULES
We’re so excited for the upcoming Autumn Semester! A couple of important updates:
Humanity Scheduling: Our soft launch continues through Friday 8/30 as we ensure our systems are integrated and tutor accounts work properly
- Please confirm you’ve successfully logged in via the #announcements Slack channel post
- While we appreciate you continuing to practice using Humanity, our current scheduling systems (available shifts google sheet, scheduling forms, etc) will remain our primary means for scheduling for another week
- Our full launch date is set for Friday, August 30 to cover the week starting September 2! Look out for more information on what this entails next week!
Tutor Growth Pathway and Autumn Schedules: A quick reminder that the freeze period is ending soon for Tutor Growth Pathway assessment
- Reminder: Sunday, 8/25 is the last day to submit your Autumn availability
- Expect your official Tutor Growth Pathway level & new schedule on Thursday, 8/29
- Launch of the Growth Pathway incentives system is set for September 1st
- We will announce the contract re-signing process on Monday
OUTSTANDING STUDENT FEEDBACK AWARD
Congratulations to Mark Leibtog for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! Some of Mark’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “THANK YOU SO MUCH! You helped me so much today and it means so much:) Yup has been so helpful and you are one of the best teachers I’ve gotten paired up with!”
- “Incredible teacher! Very clear next steps suggested”
- “Very fast, didn’t have me on here for hours trying to solve one problem. Hope to be matched with this tutor again!”
Have a great weekend, all!
— Team Yup
HUMANITY SCHEDULING LAUNCH
We’re proud to officially announce a soft launch of Humanity Scheduling Software for Yup tutors starting today, August 16th. Please keep an eye out for an introductory email as well as an activation email inviting you to the Yup Humanity Platform.
Full launch of the platform is expected to occur on Friday, August 30. We will send an email to all tutors to confirm this date closer to full launch.
Please note that all scheduling procedures and policies will remain the same for now. This means that you should still claim shifts through our Available Shifts Sheet and fill out the Scheduling form through next week. No changes made on the Humanity platform (such as shift claims or releases) will reflect on the final schedule until full launch.
TUTOR GROWTH PATHWAY
As a reminder, tutors have the opportunity to qualify for any Level based on their performance from August 5 – August 25. The new Growth Pathway system will launch on September 2, at which time we will implement all new policies touched upon in the webinar. Please continue to email us any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the following newsfeed posts to revisit the details of the program:
In light of the upcoming Autumn scheduling process, we ask that each tutor submit their updated maximum availability for the 2019-2020 school year by Friday, 8/23 via the Scheduling Form’s “Update Availability” option. Yup will use this information to craft future schedules, doing our best to ensure that tutors receive the hours they want as per their pre-summer schedules (where relevant) and available hours.
In line with the creation of autumn schedules, we ask tutors submit any session disputes by August 25th. This will allow us to accurately assign Tutor Growth Pathway levels and schedule hours according to the program’s hour maximums by level.
Let us know what questions you have and Happy Tutoring!
— Team Yup