As many of you know, the Yup Tutor Operations team recently welcomed a new member, Henry Grunzweig, to manage hiring and scheduling. Henry is delighted to be working with you all! As he takes on this new role, here are a few reminders to help make the scheduling system run smoothly for everyone:
- Take care to click the “End Shift” button when finishing shift to ensure we are accurately logging your shift time. Refreshing the page after clicking will confirm if the shift is ended.
- Whenever possible, please use the Scheduling Form to let us know about shift changes rather than emailing email@example.com directly. For shift takeovers, both tutors are expected to submit a form. Take care to ensure all the information in the form is correct to avoid confusion (AM vs. PM and Pacific Time zone for example.)
- Avoid claiming new shifts unless you are confident you will be able to commit to covering them. For temporary available shifts, check the Claimed Shifts sheet to see which shifts you have claimed.
We recently worked with a data analyst and PhD student out of Stanford University to learn more about how our new Achievements feature impacts student learning. Here are some of the findings from the session analysis that we are excited to share.
Students who receive an Achievement are more likely to:
- Reach Gap Bridged
- Give the session a ‘Thumbs Up’/5-Star rating
- Tag a session as “Fast Teaching” or “Fast Typing“
- Return to the app for another session
Overall, trends suggest that students have a more enjoyable experience when they earn achievements!
Here are our top Achievement senders since the feature launch:
- Mark Leibtog – 1560 achievements sent
- Usharani PV – 1444 achievements sent
- Kristine Dale Alcaide – 815 achievements sent
Great work, tutors! Going forward, let’s aim to not only send multiple achievements in every session, but to use authentic language when sending them. For example rather than saying “Here – take a Great Grit badge!“, explaining “Way to push through a tough problem – you earned a Great Grit achievement 🙂” will make the experience more meaningful for the student.
— Team Yup
NEW FEATURE UPDATES
Tutor Biographies are live!
Recently we reached out to the tutor team to collect fun biography facts – everything from your favorite food to your dream job. We have used these answers to create tutor bios which students can access from the session screen. This feature is live as of today!
We believe that providing students with context about their tutors will create a more human learning experience. Your student can interact with the cards and ‘heart’ them if they enjoy the fact. Some students may even ask you about your answers – we invite you to engage with the student while keeping professionalism in mind!
New Whiteboard Updates
Today, we released an whiteboard update that will enable you to zoom in on and rotate student and whiteboard gallery images to speed up the image reviewing process. As part of this update, we also gave the whiteboard tools pane a refresh.
Check out the new whiteboard guide for details and instructions!
Whiteboard Feature Guide
- Another part of this update are fixes to commonly-encountered whiteboard rotation issues – if you select a landscape image from the session images pane or the chat stream, the whiteboard orientation will now automatically adjust to landscape.
- Coming soon: when students take photos in landscape orientation, we will attempt to detect that and display the image in landscape orientation without you needing to rotate it first.
OUTSTANDING STUDENT FEEDBACK AWARD
Congratulations to Bryan Rock for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance. Way to go Bryan!
Some of Bryan’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you for your help! That problem was confusing me, and the sample my book had did not make much sense. Thanks for helping me learn how to solve it!!”
- “I understand now! We finished right in time, and I now know what the steps are! Thank you!”
- “You make algebra seem simple! Thanks for your help!”
- “I hope i get him again i loved his teaching it was great I totally recommend him for other students.😃”
- “Thank you very much! I’ll be able to do the rest of the problems on my own now :)”
— Team Yup
ENSURING SESSION ACCURACY
As an education platform, allowing incorrect answers to slip through the cracks violates a fundamental trust for the students and parents depending on our service. Unfortunately, the Wrong Answer tag is one of the most frequently assigned session tags by TQMs.
A recent Ops Analysis uncovered the following data points:
- More than 50% of Wrong Answer tags happen when a tutor doesn’t thoroughly check a student’s work
- About 15% of Wrong Answer tags stem from a tutor failing to follow given instructions
This analysis has shown us that the majority of Wrong Answer tags can be easily prevented by following directions and checking work thoroughly. Below is an infographic from 2018 with more tips and reminders:
- Referral Program:
- Thank you for your interest in the Tutor Referral program thus far! Just a reminder that we’ve extended our trial until April 5th – keep referring tutors to earn up to $125 for yourself and up to $75 for the referred tutor! Learn More
- Outdated Apps:
- A number of in-session issues we’ve seen become more prevalent can be easily fixed by the student by updating their app.
- Two specific issues caused by outdated apps are missing or disabled achievement buttons and duplicated session messages.
- When you notice the above errors, asking the student to update their app – at the end of the session – will ensure they are having the best possible experience.
— Team Yup
NEW BUG REPORTING PROCEDURE
Starting immediately, we ask that you use the Tutor Dashboard’s built-in Report Bug button to let us know about technical issues you face.
We invite you to continue to use the #system_issues room on slack to communicate with other tutors about bugs after reporting via Report Bug (UserSnap). Additionally, if a bug you are facing is significantly impacting your shift, please continue to let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using the ‘REPORT BUG’ Button (UserSnap)
Click the ‘Report Bug’ button on the bottom right of your tutor dashboard to launch the bug reporting screen.
Use the pen tool to mark your screenshot if necessary and use the comment box to tell us more about the bug.
- Do your best to be as detailed as possible about how the bug presented itself, and/or how it affected the session, or your experience using the platform (even if you think the screenshot is self-explanatory!)
- For example, instead of saying the session is lagging, try saying messages/images/whiteboard are taking a long time to send, or messages are out of order/repeating in the session.
- Always include your email, the date, time and time zone in order to better find and investigate bugs reported.
Click “Send” when you are done illustrating and explaining the bug that you are experiencing.
Check out the Yup Bug Reporting Instructions doc for more details.
- PRE-SESSION QUESTION TIP
- Use the canned responses filed under Initial Probing along with the student’s answers to the pre-session questions to speed up Gap Clarification Phase.
- For example, if they indicate that have solved similar problems, you might utilize the following canned response:“Looks like you’ve done similar problems before! Based on those, do you have any ideas about what we could try here?”
- ACHIEVEMENTS UPDATE
- As of this month, Yup tutors have sent over 15,000 Achievements to students! The team’s favorite Achievement to send is All-Star Answer with close to 7,000 awarded since the feature launched in late November 2018. Let’s keep this trend going, all!
- The record for most Achievements sent in a single session is Session #406409 in which veteran tutor Bharathi Vavilakolanu sent 26 Achievements over 108 minutes!
Keep up the great work and happy tutoring!
— Team Yup
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
This Sunday, March 10th, 2019, the United States will be setting their clocks forward one hour at 2:00 AM PST in observance of Daylight Savings Time.
If you reside in an area that does not observe daylight savings, please carefully read through the instructions listed below. NOTE: This procedure has changed from recent years, veteran tutors!
- Despite the time change at Yup HQ, do not change your normal weekly schedule in your local time zone if your country doesn’t observe Daylight Savings this Sunday.
- However, it is important to note that we will be changing from Pacific Standard Time (PST) to Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). This means the timing of your weekly schedule will change by 1 hour when referring to your shifts:
- For example, a 6PM – 9PM PST shift will become 7PM – 10PM PDT from the Yup HQ standpoint. (This is important for correctly referencing your shifts to Yup Ops/other tutors.)
- IMPORTANT: If you reside in an area that observes Daylight Savings but on a different date, please respond to the email you received to let us know.
Please don’t hesitate to send questions our way via email@example.com!
OUTSTANDING STUDENT FEEDBACK AWARD
Congratulations to Rachael Klatt for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who consistently receive outstanding written feedback from students while demonstrating excellent overall performance. Way to go Rachael!
Some of Rachael’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you so much for your help!! I completely understand this topic now, and your explanations were easy to understand! I hope to have you as a tutor again, thanks!!!”
- “She is very patient and always explains it in a simpler way in order for me to understand better.”
- “Thank you Ms. Klatt you are the best tutor I have received so far! You were very helpful, had clear explanations and were very patient!”
— Team Yup