Next week, we’ll be sending out payroll for the first time using our new Tutor Growth Pathway. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided in order to improve the program. Specifically, we want to acknowledge some concerns that tutors have had about student ratings.
A number of tutors have felt unfairly penalized when students have given poor ratings for issues stemming from improper use of the app, such as:
- Wanted Answer
- Problem Unclear
- Inappropriate Behavior
- Spam/Testing App
- Wrong Subject
Per your feedback, we will be excluding student ratings from sessions with these tags. Expect to see these changes take hold in the next week.
Tutors have also asked about sessions where students have given poor ratings but the reason is unclear. Ultimately, we believe it is important in these situations to value the customer experience and trust that there are aspects of the experience that our QA system may not accurately measure, such as:
- The student exits the session without sending a message because they had a past poor experience with a specific tutor.
- The student gives a poor rating despite strong pedagogy scores because of the tutor’s tone or phrasing.
- The student exits after a few messages because they feel that the tutor is unclear. We often find that low student ratings correlate with poor tutor grammar or unclear phrasing.
To address this necessary imperfection, we purposefully calculated our highest level metrics to equal average historical ratings. We feel this pushes everyone to perform at their best, but also allows some extra room for the occasional session that doesn’t go as planned.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on your overall experience as well as Humanity. Please fill out the September Tutor Satisfaction Survey by 10/4 so that we can best help improve your Yup experience!
Our September Outstanding Student Feedback Winner
Congratulations to Mary Ogawa for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Mary’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you very much for your help. This was my first time on YUP and I had an awesome first experience!”
- “She was so amazing in helping me understand the concept and answering all my questions I had with a great attitude!”
- “Thank you so much for being patient with me. I feel a lot more confident with these types of problems now. :)”
Way to go Mary!
-The Yup Tutor Operations Team
We’ve seen a lot of great feedback about how we can best use Slack as a company, and we’re excited to announce a few major updates based on your feedback!
SLACK CHANNEL REORGANIZATION
We’ll be renaming and repurposing a number of Slack channels to make conversing clearer. Please see the first edition of Yup Tutor Slack Guidelines! You’ll find a list of renamed channels, an explanation of where to post what, and best practice recommendations.
INTRODUCING: EMERGENCY RESPONSE TUTOR PROGRAM
We’re proud to announce a new trial program: Emergency Response Tutors.
- Emergency Response Tutors (ERTs) have the option to jump online during high wait periods (announced by automated alerts) and take extra sessions
- Any tutor may voluntarily choose to be an ERT
- For any time spent in-session but out-of-shift during high wait periods, ERTs will be compensated at 2x hourly rate
- Please note that out-of-session time will not be compensated; as sessions will be allocated first-come first-served, we recommend coming online to help only if you’re already available – typical high wait periods only last 5-10 minutes
- Join the Emergency Response Tutors Slack Channel
Because this is a trial, the parameters of this program may change. We’ll be testing its effectiveness over the next few weeks by measuring how many drops it prevents and also your satisfaction with the program. Please see this slide in the Tutor Policies deck for more detail and let us know of any questions!
STUDENT FEEDBACK UPDATES
We are introducing a form to systematize your feedback on students. This form should be a primary feedback mechanism so we can track student performance, but we also encourage you to continue to use the Student Feedback Slack Channel to offer helpful advice to other tutors.
In turn, Yup Tutor Operations will commit to consistent reports on the most common issues and students that are brought up. Additionally, we’re already working on product specs directly related to your feedback:
- Internal student profiles that allow tutors to review comments from other tutors on best practice teaching styles for each student
- Students’ can select preferred learning styles (e.g., more whiteboard, faster teaching, check in often) and these are shown to tutors
Thanks and happy tutoring all!
Hi all! Fantastic work throughout the first couple weeks of the Fall semester. We’re seeing the highest average student ratings and tutor composite scores in the history of Yup! Thank you as well for bearing with any hiccups that have resulted from our recent scheduling and evaluation tool updates – we’ll get those ironed out soon!
We’ve made a few updates to our Tutor Policies and want to offer a quick overview:
We’d like to quickly reiterate the expectation that all sessions assigned while logged in should be claimed to prevent student drops. Any passed sessions will be counted against claim rate. Tutor Growth Pathway metrics have been set to account for outlier situations and allow tutors to infrequently skip sessions. For more info, see here.
We’ve made a small change to our session dispute policy. Given technical limitations, we no longer have the capacity to change individual session scores. Instead, any approved dispute will result in the session being omitted entirely from metric calculations. Please let us know if you have any questions about this policy.
We’ve made some updates to our Math Concept breakdown. We no longer cover a number of concepts including parametric equations, polar equations, and partial fractions as well as others. Please review to ensure you’re aware which concepts we do and do not cover!
We continue to be excited for the start of the Fall semester this upcoming Monday, 9/2. We want to thank everyone for helping us through all the recent changes.
Tutor Growth Pathway and Fall Schedules
Congratulations on a great job during our Tutor Freeze Period! We saw a big bump in comp scores, ratings, and claim rate. This means better teaching, less drops, and faster service for our students =)
Growth pathway payment rates will go into effect on September 1, 2019
- August payroll will reflect our old system, including relevant bonuses
- Please ensure that you have signed your new contract: reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns
Fall schedules will go into effect September 2, 2019
- Please verify your schedule and reach out to email@example.com with any concerns or requests to add hours, based on the noted schedule availability
Humanity Scheduling Software
Full launch of Humanity will take place on September 9/2. Until then, please continue to use our typical procedures and policies for scheduling matters (e.g., fill out a form for a shift switch or leave request on 9/1). However, some important notes:
Available shift release for the week of 9/2 will take place Friday, August 30 in Humanity
- Tutors can see their weekly Fall schedules the evening of Thursday, August 29
- Tutors can claim hours up to their total weekly hours Level maximum
Starting 9/2, we will move to using Humanity for all major scheduling procedures
- Release shifts, request leave, and continue to claim shifts in Humanity
- Use the scheduling form to submit overtime or availability updates
And finally, get excited for an influx of new tutors! We expect up to ~50 new tutors to onboard over the next few weeks, and more when we split the subject exam (more to come on that).
Keep up the fantastic work everyone!
HUMANITY, TUTOR GROWTH PATHWAYS + AUTUMN SCHEDULES
We’re so excited for the upcoming Autumn Semester! A couple of important updates:
Humanity Scheduling: Our soft launch continues through Friday 8/30 as we ensure our systems are integrated and tutor accounts work properly
- Please confirm you’ve successfully logged in via the #announcements Slack channel post
- While we appreciate you continuing to practice using Humanity, our current scheduling systems (available shifts google sheet, scheduling forms, etc) will remain our primary means for scheduling for another week
- Our full launch date is set for Friday, August 30 to cover the week starting September 2! Look out for more information on what this entails next week!
Tutor Growth Pathway and Autumn Schedules: A quick reminder that the freeze period is ending soon for Tutor Growth Pathway assessment
- Reminder: Sunday, 8/25 is the last day to submit your Autumn availability
- Expect your official Tutor Growth Pathway level & new schedule on Thursday, 8/29
- Launch of the Growth Pathway incentives system is set for September 1st
- We will announce the contract re-signing process on Monday
OUTSTANDING STUDENT FEEDBACK AWARD
Congratulations to Mark Leibtog for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! Some of Mark’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “THANK YOU SO MUCH! You helped me so much today and it means so much:) Yup has been so helpful and you are one of the best teachers I’ve gotten paired up with!”
- “Incredible teacher! Very clear next steps suggested”
- “Very fast, didn’t have me on here for hours trying to solve one problem. Hope to be matched with this tutor again!”
Have a great weekend, all!
— Team Yup