Next week, we’ll be sending out payroll for the first time using our new Tutor Growth Pathway. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided in order to improve the program. Specifically, we want to acknowledge some concerns that tutors have had about student ratings.
A number of tutors have felt unfairly penalized when students have given poor ratings for issues stemming from improper use of the app, such as:
- Wanted Answer
- Problem Unclear
- Inappropriate Behavior
- Spam/Testing App
- Wrong Subject
Per your feedback, we will be excluding student ratings from sessions with these tags. Expect to see these changes take hold in the next week.
Tutors have also asked about sessions where students have given poor ratings but the reason is unclear. Ultimately, we believe it is important in these situations to value the customer experience and trust that there are aspects of the experience that our QA system may not accurately measure, such as:
- The student exits the session without sending a message because they had a past poor experience with a specific tutor.
- The student gives a poor rating despite strong pedagogy scores because of the tutor’s tone or phrasing.
- The student exits after a few messages because they feel that the tutor is unclear. We often find that low student ratings correlate with poor tutor grammar or unclear phrasing.
To address this necessary imperfection, we purposefully calculated our highest level metrics to equal average historical ratings. We feel this pushes everyone to perform at their best, but also allows some extra room for the occasional session that doesn’t go as planned.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on your overall experience as well as Humanity. Please fill out the September Tutor Satisfaction Survey by 10/4 so that we can best help improve your Yup experience!
Our September Outstanding Student Feedback Winner
Congratulations to Mary Ogawa for earning the Outstanding Student Feedback Award! This award is given to tutors who receive consistent, outstanding written feedback from students over several weeks along with demonstrating excellent overall performance.
Some of Mary’s exceptional student feedback comments include:
- “Thank you very much for your help. This was my first time on YUP and I had an awesome first experience!”
- “She was so amazing in helping me understand the concept and answering all my questions I had with a great attitude!”
- “Thank you so much for being patient with me. I feel a lot more confident with these types of problems now. :)”
Way to go Mary!
-The Yup Tutor Operations Team